Civil Weddings in Greece

Civil Weddings in Greece

Procedurally, a civil wedding in Greece is very simple. It is quite economical and can be performed anytime, but it does not have the blessing and the solemn atmosphere of the Orthodox Church.

The cost minimum cost of a civil wedding is:

  • Fee: € 15,00 per person and is payable to the tax office.
  • Publication in a daily newspaper: € 25,00.
  • Municipality: € 0,00 - 100,00 (varies by Municipality).

Marriage License Documents required for Greeks in Greece:

  • Photocopy of ID card/passport.
  • Copy or extract of birth certificate from the Registry of the place of birth.- Judicial decision for minors under 18 years old.
  • Fee: € 15,00 per person and is payable to the tax office.
  • Publication of the wedding announcement in a daily newspaper and delivery of the entire newspaper to the license issuing office.
  • Those who are divorced must provide the previous marriage certificate registered with the divorce decree. A widower must present the previous mate’s death certificate.
  • Proof of residency (utility bill, mobile telephone bill, bank passbook, health booklet, income tax return, etc.), where the place of residence appears for each person.

Marriage License Documents required for Greeks living abroad:
Same as above, with the addition of:

  • Application for marriage license.
  • Authorization for the person who will submit and receive the marriage license and affirmation, which states the place of residence and the absence of obstacles. These are obtained, completed and signed in the nearest Greek Consulate of the citizen's residence.

Required Documents for Aliens who live in Greece:
Everything listed above. However, consider the following, as well.

  • A certificate from their country’s authorities or the relevant Consulate in Greece declaring that there is no legal impediment for the concerned aliens to marry (translated and authenticated).
  • Birth certificate translated and certified.
  • Passport photocopy.
  • Evidence of legal residence in Greece (photocopy of residence permit, visa, European citizenship card, etc.).
  • In case of divorce, translated and certified.
  • In the event of widowhood, death certificate translated and authenticated.
  • Validation of foreign language documents: From the consulate of that country in Greece and subsequently by the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Required Documents for Aliens living abroad:

  • Marriage license from the competent authority of their country translated and authenticated.
  • Birth certificate translated and certified.
  • A photocopy of the passport.
  • Photocopy of legal residence in Greece (residence permit, visa etc.).
  • During the wedding ceremony, each person about to be married must be accompanied by an adult witness with an ID card (may be a relative).
  • The intended spouse must declare, before the wedding, the surname of any children that they may have in the future.

(Cypriots should carry a certificate of freedom, birth certificate, license application, newspaper with wedding announcement. For Greeks born in Alexandria, Cairo or Istanbul the certificate of baptism by the Patriarchate is valid).