Corinth Canal

Corinth Canal

In the area of the Isthmus of Corinth is the Corinth Canal that connects the Saronic Gulf with the Corinthian Gulf. The waterway was inaugurated in 1893 and is an important hub for maritime transport that serves 12,000 ships annually.

The history of the canal dates back to ancient times when the Lord of Corinth Periandros in 602 B.C. thought of opening the Isthmus. But his plans were abandoned due to technical difficulties and financial interests of Corinth.

In Roman ages, Emperors Julius Caesar, Caligula, and Nero made similar plans but with no avail due to political and military unrest in Rome. The next step was taken by Herodes Atticus, but again without consequence. In more recent eras, Governor Kapodistrias attempted to promote the project, but the amount of 40 million Francs needed as an expense was not ascertained and so his effort was abandoned. Finally, the construction of the canal commenced in April 1882 by the company of the Hungarian General Tyrr, yet was completed by the company of Andreas Syngrou.

 

The Corinth Canal was inaugurated on July 25th, 1893. The channel is 6,346 m long, 24,6 m wide at sea level, 21,3 m at its bottom, while its depth is 7,50 to 8 m.

The canal attracts countless tourists every year, as it is considered one of the most popular attractions in Greece. One can further admire the sinking bridge that connects Corinth with Loutraki. The bridge facilitates the movement of vehicles up to 3 tons and lowers every time a ship has to cross the Canal. Visitors can make the crossing of the canal as well as perform various sports such as bungee jumping from a platform 80 meters high at the bottom of the tourist bridge of Corinth, surfing, swimming competitions, canoeing, and various other activities comparable to the season.


Note that it is worth visiting the Archeological Museum of Isthmia. It is a small but specialized gallery located in the settlement of Kyra Vrysi Isthmia. It was constructed by the architect Pavlos Mylonas in 1970 and opened its gates in 1978. The museum includes exhibits from the findings of the Sanctuary of Poseidon, the Sanctuary of Palaemon, the Ancient Port of Kechrea, and the Hellenistic settlement of Rachi.

 


East Peloponnese
Loutraki
Corinth Canal
Mycenae
Epidaurus
Nafplio



 

▶︎ Delphi & Arachova
▶︎ East Peloponnese
▶︎ Evia Island
▶︎ Cycladic Islands