The name "Klafthmonos Square" came after a report of "Estia" magazine because in that particular area, in front of Ministry of Economics, dismissed officials that used to work in the public sector would gather and protest against the every new re-elected government for corruption issues.
The name that Leo Von Klenze proposed, an architect that designed the city of Athens while Otto was a king, is "Aeschylus Square". The name "Mint Square" is given to the square because the old mint was in that particular area. In 1838, and for a stressed time period, it had the name "25th of March Square", because in its garden the first celebration for the Greek revolution of 1821, took place and later "Democracy Square".
After 1878, it took the name "Klafthmonos Square" and in 1989 it was renamed after the central statue of the square in "National Reconciliation square". From 1972, an underground garage station was built and is now in use.