National Theater of Greece (Royal Theater)

National Theater of Greece (Royal Theater)

The National Theater was built during 1895 and 1901 by the German architect, Ernst Ziller, who designed it imitating the National Theater of Vienna and the National Library in Athens (for the composition of the façade).

The interior of the National Theater is Renaissance design and was considered a pioneer for its era. Its front consists of a central section very rich in decorative elements, with Corinthian line of columns on both side sections and with a typical neoclassical design.
 

The building was used as the official royal theater with invitations until 1908, when it was open for public use and in 1924 its name was changed from "Royal Theater" to "National Theater". The initial interior stage installations, light and heat were the most perfect of this kind for that period, studied by Viennese engineers and made in Piraeus factories.

The building was constructed with donations mainly by Stefanos Rallis, expatriate from London and other expatriates from London, Korialenis and Evgenidis, and at last with grants from the Public Treasury under the initiative of King George the First. The "Central Stage" of the National Theater and "The New Stage" are operating in the building.

 


Neoclassical Buildings of Ernst Ziller
National Theater of Greece (Royal Theater)
Mansion Syngrou (Foreign Ministry)
Iliou Melathron (Numismatic Museum)
Mela Building (National Bank of Greece)
Presidential Mansion (Crown Prince's Pallace)
Stathatos Mansion (Cycladic Art Museum)



 

▶︎ Neoclassical Buildings of Athens
▶︎ Neoclassical Buildings of Ernst Ziller
▶︎ Neoclassical Buildings of Christian & Theophilus Hansen
▶︎ Neoclassical Governmental Buildings
▶︎ Neoclassical Museum Buildings
▶︎ More Neoclassical Buildings