Penteli Monastery

Penteli Monastery

Established in 1578, the Ceonobic Monastery of the Dormition of the Theotokos in Pendeli was baptized by Bishop Timotheos of Evripou (Evia), whose memory is honored by the Orthodox Church every August 16th.

Penteli Monastery is positioned approximately 18 kilometers from downtown Athens and is mounted on the Southern side of Pentelic Mountain at an altitude of around 430 meters. The Holy Monastery, since its origin through the conclusion of the Turkish occupation, was under the administration of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople. At this time, Abbot Ierotheos of Pendeli Monastery traveled to Constantinople where he was able to acquire the Stavropegaic merit of the Monastery from Patriarch Jeremias II (1572-1595) with a sigil that regrettably has not been recovered. A renewal of the Patriarchal privilege was awarded by a second sigil from Patriarch Dionysius IV of Constantinople in 1678. Much later, in 1858, the Monastery came under the control of the Metropolitan Cathedral of Athens. The Sultans infrequently granted different firmans that confirmed the privileges and the rights of the Monastery.  However, these firmans were frequently abolished resulting in continued pillages. Countless times, the Holy Monastery bore witness to lootings such as during the fall of Athens to Morozini (1688-1690) and another that took place during the battles for independence against the Turks in 1821, which resulted in the contribution to the efforts for the independence of the nation.

1692 saw a Patriarchal sigil where the Monastery was amalgamated along with the Holy Monastery of Ntaou Pendeli and the Holy Monastery of Saint Nicholas Kalision. Today, however, they are once again independent.

In 1778, the Holy Monastery compounded as a shelter for the residents of Athens in order to avoid a dreadful plague that had decimated a huge part of the population of Athens. These citizens were cared for by the monks for nearly 2 years.

The Penteli Monastery was refurbished in 1768 and, in 1858, the building was lengthened in order to accommodate about 120 friars. During the time of Abbot Cyrillos II, the main Church was restored and decorated. Today, in the Monahologio (a list of those serving the religious premises) there are 58 monks and hieromonks registered, 17 of whom reside permanently therein, and 1 as a postulant. The Monastery also includes monuments of vital traditional and historical significance, such as the Museum of the Penteli Monastery and the Main Church or Catholicon.