HILL OF THE NYMPHS (OBSERVATORY)
Height: 105 m
Identity and history:
In 1842, while the architect Theophilus Hansen was building the Observatory of Athens funded by the national benefactor Georgios Sinas on the top of this hill, where dedications were discovered chiseled in the stones of the garden, thus giving its name to the area.
Also, on this hill there was a temple dedicated to the Nymphs and the Childbirth. Associated with it - not by chance - is Agia Marina (Saint Marina), whose church is nearby.
Close to the church, there is a smooth rock, which legend has that pregnant women, by sitting on it and slowly sliding down, would secure a painless and easier delivery.
HOW TO GET THERE
BY FOOT: From Agion Asomaton Square and the Thissio Metro Station, follow the Apostolou Pavlou Walkway for over 1 km to find on your right hand side the Hill of Nymphs.
NEAR BY THE HILL OF THE NYMPHS
This jewelry store is known for offering a great selection of contemporary pieces made from precious metals, as well as... more
The shop sells anything from new and used, fiction and nonfiction books in English, mainly to ex-patriots – who seem... more
ACROPOLIS MUSEUM SHOP
The ground level shop has a broad selection of postcards, paper goods and the museumĘs childrenĘs collection. The second floor... more
GastronomyJAMES JOYCE IRISH PUB
Original Irish pub with traditional dishes and an impressive range of whisky and spirits.... more
Nice snack bar in Plaka, away from noise and the overcrowding, with tasty dishes.... more
With roots from the region of Mani in the ingredients and its recipes, it does not hold it “maniatiko” (holds... more