Kerameikos is the most important cemetery of Ancient Athens and came into existence in the 12th Century B.C. It name comes from the very old community of the city quarter Kerameis who had settled on the banks of the river Eridanos.
It was divided into two sections: the “inner” and “outer” Kerameikos – where the Themistoklean Wall was built (5th Century B.C.). These sections were joined by of the greatest gates of Ancient Athens, the Dipylon Gate and the Sacred Gate. From these gates commenced two roads, the Panathenian Way and the Sacred Way (Iera Odos). On both sides of these roads, the official cemetery of the city was constructed and has been used continuously from the 9th Century B.C. through to the post-Roman years.
In 1870, the Greek Archaeological Society began systematic excavations until 1913. The Greek Government gave the full responsibility for the excavations to the German Archaeological Institute, which still has this honor to this day.
Kerameikos Cemetary (Archaeological Area)
Ermou Street 148
10553 Athens (Greece)
Tel. +30 210 - 3463552
HOW TO GET THERE
BY ATHENS METRO: 3 (Blue Line), Station "Kerameikos"
BY BUS: 035, 049, 227, 500, 815, 838, 914, B18, G18
BY FOOT: Follow Ermou Street from Monastiraki Square, cross Agion Asomaton Square, the entrance to Kerameikos Cemetary will be approximately 1 km away.