Demonstration Alert: Transportation Strike on May 1st, 2023
In Athens, demonstrations are planned at 11:00 in Syntagma Square and at the same time in Piraeus at Pasalimani. In Thessaloniki, demonstrations are planned at the Statue of Eleftherios Venizelos at 11:00 Additional demonstrations are expected to take place throughout Greece during the day.
The following strikes are scheduled for Monday, May 1, 2023 (12:00 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.), unless otherwise noted:
- Ferry and boat employees will be on a 24-hour strike.
- The National Railway will be on a 24-hour strike.
- The Attica/Peloponnese Suburban Railway will be on a 24-hour strike.
- Trolleys will operate only from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Buses will operate only from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Other organizations may decide to join the transportation strike for May 1, 2023, without warning. Please monitor www.apergia.gr and local media for last minute strike notifications.
Actions to Take:
- Review your travel plans.
- Contact your airline or travel company for assistance.
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Athens
U.S. Consulate General Thessaloniki
State Department – Consular Affairs
(888) 407-4747 or (202) 501-4444