THE TEMPLE OF HEPHAESTUS
The Temple of Hephaestus – known as the Thision or Hephaisteion – began to be built in 449 B.C. by Ictinus. It was one of the first structures in the reconstruction program of Pericles and, today, is the best preserved monument in the Agora and the best saved temple in Athens.
It is a Doric order peripteral temple with a pronaos and a opisthodomos on top of the Agoraios Kolonos hill. It has 34 pillars and one metope in the east that represents 9 of the 12 Labours of Hercules.
It was dedicated to the worship of Hephaestus and Athena, of which there were bronze statues of inside. From 1300 A.D. it functioned as the church Agios Georgios (St. George), but with the arrival of King Otto to Greece in 1834, the last Christian liturgy took place.
Ancient Agora (Archaeological Area)
10555 Athens (Greece)
Tel. +30 210 - 3214172
HOW TO GET THERE
BY ATHENS METRO: 1 (Green Line), Station "Thissio"
BY BUS: 025, 026, 027, 038, 227, 500
BY FOOT: Going up from Monastiraki Square, take Adrianou Street for a 5 minute walk to the Ancient Agora. From the Thissio Metro Station, it will only take a couple of minutes on Adrianou Street to reach the Agora.
NEAR BY THE ANCIENT AGORA
Small bar playing mainly black music. Absolute hip hangout, open from nine in the morning for coffee and cold sandwiches,... more
BLACK DUCK MULTIPLARTE
This multi-space located in the heart of Athens has provided the stage for numerous mature Greek acts over the years.... more
Cosy multiplace with live and DJ shows as well a gallery exhibitions and festivals.... more
Bar-Restaurant on the pedestrian walkway of Aiolou Street with nice music choices.... more
Old patisserie with traditional doughnuts and cream pies for customers of every age.... more
Nice snack bar in Plaka, away from noise and the overcrowding, with tasty dishes.... more