Elefsina (Archaeological Site)

Elefsina (Archaeological Site)

Due to its strategic position, the settlement of Elefsina was developed to be a large fortified settlement during the Mycenaean period and was founded in 2000 B.C.. It was then that the cult of Demeter was introduced, that worshipped the deity connected to the growing of cereals and nature.

Until the Roman times, Demeter's cult is continued and the Greeks built temples on the east side of the hill. In the time of Solon, the Elefsinian mysteries were established as one of the most important Athenian festivals and the sanctuary acquired a Panhellenic character.

In the time when Peisistratos was the king of Athens, the sanctuary was reinforced with a massive tower fortification. During the Classical and Roman Periods, beautiful buildings were erected and with the event of Christianity and after the invasion of the Ostrogoths, the sanctuary was abandoned. In the 19th Century A.D., the systematic excavations of the Elefsinian sanctuary started and continued through the beginning of the 20th Century by the AAS, the Athens Archaeological Society, under D. Philias and A. Skias, Ephors of Antiquities.


Between between the years 1917 and 1930, the excavations were conducted by K. Kourouniotes, Ephor of Antiquities and later from the late 1930's until the 1960's, it was Travlos, Mylonas and Kourouniotes that completed the excavations. In the museum of Elefsina and the National Archaeological Museum one is able to view the findings now housed there.

More from Archaeological Site of Elefsina