Karaiskaki Stadium (Olympiakos FC)

Karaiskaki Stadium (Olympiakos FC)

Georgios Karaiskakis Stadium is a football stadium. It is located in Piraeus, on the Faliro coastal zone. The stadium was originally built as a velodrome for the First Olympic Games of 1896.

It was almost totally reconstructed in the 1960s, taking the form of an Olympic stadium with an athletics track around the football pitch.

At that same time, the stadium was renamed after Georgios Karaiskakis, a general in the Greek Revolution against the Turks (1821) - who was killed not far from where the stadium stands. After a long-lasting saga, the use of Karaiskaki passed to Olympiakos CFP in April 2003.


The club undertook the responsibility to build a brand new football-only ground in its place, to be used during the 2004 Olympic Games. In return, Olympiakos was granted exclusive use of the stadium until 2052. Karaiskaki Stadium is classified by the UEFA organization as among another 28 European as a 5-star football stadium.

It hosts 40 VIP lounges and suites, which can hold up to 472 persons, a press conference hall of 130 seat capacity, 200 seats for press and media coverage, and an entire shopping mall - with restaurants, cafés, retail and clothing stores and a gym.