Odeon of Herodes Atticus

Odeon of Herodes Atticus

The Odeon of Herodes Atticus is located on the south west side of the rock of Acropolis and was discovered during excavations in 1848 and 1857.

It has a capacity of 5.000 seats and is used today for concerts and theatrical productions. The main founder of the Odeon of Herodes Atticus was an eminent sophist from Marathon and teacher to the Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius. It was built around 160 A.D. in honor of his wife Aspasia Annia Regilla. It was the third Odeon of the city after those of Pericles and Agrippa.

The entire building was covered with wood for better sound quality and protection of the spectators from bad weather.

Behind the stage exists a series of pillars and niches which would support the statues of the Gods. The semicircle orchestra, with a range of 38 meters, in front of the stage was re-laid with white and blue marble in the 1950ʼs.

The destruction of the Odeon has been blamed on the Heruli tribe who, during 267 A.D. destroyed most of the monuments of the city.